LF: Re: Antenna tests on 136k and 503k - Results

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Antenna tests on 136k and 503k - Results
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:51:29 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=kCijRn3z9Gh0IXOoEaKNAnIVojKdYmncnTFMBXe66Oibqp/OqZTdRyybcA5/zWeKjS/N5RcPwQ1ETHRZ6I2/oRWfijtViDqnXeqTK5FobYmoroomHUgMR4uLccr0CcDzdRyz6OQUwDH8nT1umlgCEM/yk0ZWrNjqn7pKfeBVyns= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim, I wondered whether that was your objective with the "portable site".
That is a very interesting confirmation of some of the "thinks" a lot of us
have had about ERP calculation and the environmental effects. Well done,
nice project.

One small comment on the open field aerial, your loss figures confirm the
advisability of having extensive top-wires to increase the aerial capacity
and so enable a higher Q coil to be more easily achieved. In this situation
the top-wires may not add much in terms of ground loss reduction. It is also
possible that in this situation an advantage would be seen in helically
winding the vertical section too. In most cases the Rrad advantage of
helical winding (only about 15-20% I think)  is probably negated by the
increased capacity to the lossy surroundings.

I suppose you could see the Rrad reduction due to nearby structures and the
environment as being due to some of the feed current being diverted by
capacitive coupling into the lossy surroundings and so not traversing all of
the distributed Rrad.

I am pleased you managed to finish that work before the wind and weather
made it too uncomfortable being out in the middle of a field !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK