LF: WSJT JT2 Test tonight

To: [email protected], "Discussion of the Lowfer (US, European, &amp; UK) and MedFer bands" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: WSJT JT2 Test tonight
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:26:25 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

I'm going to stick WE2XGR/3's neck out tonight, and try a test of the JT2 mode found in Joe Taylor's WSJT program. The test will be on 508.500 kHz, and will run from about 0000 to 0300 UTC.

This is a weak signal mode, probably comparable to WOLF in many respects. WSJT comes from the VHF/UHF weak signal domain, and is a bit unfriendly to learn. I have written up some simple instructions for receiving that may help:
http://www.w1tag.com/WSJT.htm

As noted on that page, transmission will not be continuous, but on the even minutes only, and then for 47 seconds out of the minute.

All reports are welcome, and feel free to email me directly with any questions. Reception should be easy in the eastern U.S. at this power level. The question is whether it can be copied at greater distances.

For those who are offended by this sort of thing, there will be plenty of CW signals on 600 meters tonight, and please spare me your rants.

John Andrews, W1TAG / WE2XGR/3