Re: LF: CLASS D E.... Instrumet induced errors ? Misunderstanding ?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: CLASS D E.... Instrumet induced errors ? Misunderstanding ?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 00:34:02 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=ervONzGpNijpR3gcqZNBF/+wBl34UvhY9HzA33mxuLS+wuOLkjdgujIX3wgQiSK64aXJaqvFEBTTCK90AgMZubbKsnI0KlqTypvMgebgJKxyy99fFaG7XviL1SETElFK38PJGImZL+HVQ+axixWyGb7dCwiP0jVbVo/L7IuqXvw= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Well the thermo RF current meters measure RMS current, but have you looked
at the current from the PSU on a scope?? It shouldn't vary much if the choke
is doing its job properly. The FET switches the current to ground and when
it opens the current is diverted to flow into the shunt capacitor. The choke
tries to maintain the current flow by generating a "back emf"....this is
what chokes do. If the design is done properly (the choke and the shunt cap
are the right size) there should ve very little "ripple" in the current, so
the load seen by the psu should be fairly constant and it should not show
"sag". Note that it is not a 50% squarewave. Conversely if the design
criteria are not followed the efficiency will be compromised. These PAs are
really just switching power supplies and those achieve very high
efficiencies at similar frequencies.

Alan G3NYK