LF: Re: 136kHz IARU Region 1 Bandplan: Review of Guidelines

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 136kHz IARU Region 1 Bandplan: Review of Guidelines
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:04:32 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=eVLUtCoLJgPnynHpK9HpDCRuMdYf1Q3avHHAGYEVsohQpx7Nk/U2o7bKzs9Q11JIsCKFt/X7isFfQz1C4phNGhKap0jXsEcnbpXN6GaesRQ/0fffsgt8HRAAwhvg5miQsVnm4+fSTpyvT/2bpYQshrtJbMrIazupvP1IhUd7s0U= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear John, LF Group,

I would favour sticking with the "no formal band plan" arrangement that we
have at the moment. The reason for the current informal band plan getting
out of date is not really to do with chamging amateur operating practice,
but with the utilities that operate inside or near the band. At HF, if you
do have non-amateur signals taking up residence in a particular band
segment, there is still some room elsewhere in the same segment to continue
operating. But at HF, band segments are usually at least 10s of kilohertz,
while with only 2.1kHz total bandwidth to play with at 136k, the band
segments can only be hundreds of Hz wide and a whole segment can be made
unusable by even a single utility signal. In these circumstances, we have to
be prepared to QSY in order to make best use of what spectrum is available,
and this has happened a number of times in the past.

Since 136kHz is uniquely narrow, we have little or no influence with the
utilities, and have the band on secondary basis, I think this band has to be
treated as a special case where flexibility in operating practices is
needed. Any set of guidelines that can be produced can be rendered obsolete
if one of the utility operators decides to change frequency, so I think an
informal arrangement among amateurs that changes to suit prevailing
conditions is best.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU