Re: LF: Re: 500 KHz test

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500 KHz test
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:47:22 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:36:59 -0000
"hamilton mal" <[email protected]> wrote:

> All class A UK radio amateurs have passed the code test, so why
> bother with a mode that noone else bothers about.
> G3KEV

As a CW only op I think I can answer Mal's point without being accused
of partiality.

The use of CW is always going to be seen as the primary mode on MF, due
to the bandwidth limitiations and the ease of production and detection.

However the great increase in available digital modes recently means
there's great scope for the experimenter to investigate ways of
improving the reliability and throughput of messages in narrow
bandwidths and low S/N ratios.

One of the reasons I see that we've got access to 500 is to see what
can be done with modern DSP signal processing in view of the
peculiarities of MF fading/propagation. The powers that be might see MF
(and an amateur allocation here) as useful for emergency communication.

The use of digital modes and DSP will be important for this and if we
can show we're carrying out research into this then we won't look like
anachronistic dinosaurs.

On my part I'm only interested in using CW for QSOs - and am still
amassing lots of interesting data from this mode - but am happy to
support those who are trying different routes.

This isn't a normal amateur allocation where we should be intertested
solely in "working the DX". The cross-band QSOs etc. should be seen as
"experimantal data". The normal amateur "DXCC chasing" mentality has
no place here.

See you on the key?

John