Re: LF: RE: 500 kHz report / Great expectations

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: RE: 500 kHz report / Great expectations
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:42:11 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=o9YcjYBWdD5qI7bDyncQrnkAFdGvW8ZYuCKID9u4a7BJxWtBvxFGys43oqw5tyBDGEXCwudLorsAd3DRg8Qs3lDSl928KLlrdHBMIn9P5zakQ+cYLXPVBmPq9/cD/zLidRMjVQSJyBM10ZekuTSMbaCGSwudTcvXvVVm5LFFboA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Graham, ah but yes it will!!. The skip you talk about is due to the
ground wave fading below the noise qrm at ranges before the skywave starts
to come in at good strength. This is well known in the Lowfer (160 to 180kHz
1 Watt DC) fraternity in the States. the higher power Part 5 stations dont
get this problem. On the commercial station power levels the ground wave
equals the skywave strength at somewhere around 700 km (CCIR reccs), and if
you plug the figures into to the late Reg Edwards GRNDWAV4 program you will
see how the ground wave fades with decreasing power level. Those of us that
live in domestic areas have to put up with a higher level of blanketing
noise than John, which make the situation far worse.

A little bit more power could enable us to achieve better groundwave ranges
in daytime than are possible on top-band. Then add to that the possibility
of daytime skywave at longer distances and it could well help. There will
always be a rapid fading at shortish distances (100 to300km) but more power
would give some fade margin so the signals didnt go right out.

On the data, a "locked" signal should be somewhere around at least 6dB
better under fading but it has to flywheel its parameters through the fade,
not suddenly start hunting for them again when the signal disappears. Much
data software is not written for these LF type conditions, Amtor ARQ would
be good with some error correction and longer bursts than 3 chars....
possibly adaptive to match the fading conditions. The origin SITOR was
designed for HF conditions which have different problems. Selective fading
is not really an issue at LF.  I was involved (at work) in a kite fly about
a Marine Radio data protocol that would have used  an (A)X25 type of
protocol with narrow bandwidth and a packet handshake that would have been
very effective. The ultimate is GPS locked and that is very effective. If
you want to see the the effectiveness of a locked system look at WOLF. This
is not designed for "conditions adaptive" operation though, but I have
copies signals way below the level QRSS can be seen on 136kHz. Even the "QSO
mode" Wolf B put in does not make it friendy for qso work. A good system
should go quickly when conditions are good and slow down, integrating the
repeats, in bad spells, until the packet checksums agree.

Alan G3NYK