Re: LF: Re: Re: 136kHz DX 11/12 Nov - DCF39

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: 136kHz DX 11/12 Nov - DCF39
From: Jean-Pierre Méré <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:48:26 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Markus , Alan and Mike ,

Here, on the antenna which is in your direction (K9AY) I do not see anything
abnormal , but I am further (JN06HT)! to see the screen printing with : http://jpmere.online.fr/Temp/Capt_12.jpg

73 Jean-Pierre f1afj

Markus Vester a écrit :
Hi Mike and Alan,

I believe Mike is right in that the FSK bursts in the upper half of the band actually do come from DCF39.

Since April 2nd, they have switched to a new Transradio solid state transmitter, which unfortunately appears to have much less efficient modulation waveform shaping. The old TX is still used as a backup and has come on for a few hours from time to time. This is also the reason for the different reported idle frequencies (138830.03 Hz before, 138830.6 Hz now).

There is a grabber shot on http://members.aol.com/df6nm2/QRM/DCF39_sidebands_070404.png which shows the difference of the spectral characteristics. Especially in quiet conditions, the new burst sidebands can be seen down to about 137.1 kHz and do significantly affect QRSS reception here. I have been in contact with a person at the German regulatory body "Bundesnetzagentur", who was involved in the on-site acceptance testing. He was quite understanding and helpful, but basically said that the emitted spectrum had been confirmed to be within the prescribed mask, and there was little he could do to enforce a reduction of the remaining out-of-band emissions.

Due to the modulation characteristics there are however a few spectral gaps in the sidebands which could be useful to us. The appended plot shows a spectrogram between 137.5 and 137.8 kHz (audio frequencies above 135.5 kHz zero beat). The vertical streaks show visible minima at
 137.762 to 137.773 kHz (shown as 2262 to 2273 Hz),
 137.620 to 137.655 kHz, and
 137.560 to 137.575 kHz.
One possible suggestion would be to move our activity regions for TA (currently ~137.778) and QRSS (~137.700) down into the first two gaps. Before we decide to change our habits, it would be interesting to know how much others in the LF group are affected.

73 and best wishes
Markus, DF6NM

PS: A strong blue trace appeared near 136.319 around 19:20 - Mike's test signal?