Re: LF: Antenna question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna question
From: WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:55:58 -0600
Sender: [email protected]

My guess is the existing fence wire will couple a bit to the antenna wire but possibly just aid the signal. Try it with a shorter wire that you already have and see how that works. If the signals are there but weak, go with a longer wire. If all seems fare with the longer wire, go buy or however obtain the 1k' or so wire and let us know how that does. I think it will be just fine with whatever wire you use. As long as the existing fence wires don't cross over or go under any powerlines, I think your antenna wire will be very low noise. An idea for inexpensive wire would be the galvanized fence wire from the farm store. Put out a half mile of it and see what happens. It's solderable too.

Mike
WE0H

J. B. Weazle McCreath wrote:
Hello LFers,

My farmer neighbour has kindly offered me the use of his fence posts
to erect a "longwire" receiving antenna.  I could make it well over a
thousand feet in length and run out of $ for the wire before I ran out
of fence posts!  Would the close proximity of the fence itself, about
eight inches below the antenna wire, have any negative effects?

The fence is the conventional rectangular grid type, with six horizontal
wires spaced about eight inches apart, and with vertical wires spaced
about a foot apart.  It's fastened to the wooden posts with staples and
it appears to be galvanized steel.  There is no intentional grounding of
the fence, but in many places the lowest horizontal wire does touch
the ground.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

73, J.B., VE3EAR - VE3WZL
Solar and wind powered
Lowfer " EAR"  188.830
EN93dr