RE: LF: 500kHz NoV

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: 500kHz NoV
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:58:07 +0100 (BST)
Sender: [email protected]

Hello again Ken,

That sounds promising indeed. We're only 580 miles apart - easy DX!

What is your local noise level like. I'm finding that many stations in
urban areas are greatly hampered by electronic hash which masks the weak
CW signals we're restricted to.

I presume you intend to operate CW? There is a bit of RTTY/PSK31 and
QRSS-3 on the band too.

I have a "grabber" running which gives a waterfall display of the band
from 500 - 505.512kHz - enough for our allocation and the area occupied
by the German, Swedish and Czech beacons. I wonder if you've heard or
seen DI2AM at 505.2-ish? It is in QRSS-3 mode, with a real CW ident at
regular intervals.

look at http://www.sighthound.demon.co.uk/pshed/gm4slv_speclab.jpg -
manually refresh the page every 5 minutes ( I must get round to putting
the grabber pic in a real page that automatically refreshes!)

 At present  there is a CW beacon on 501.316 kHz from Finbar GI4DPE,
although in the daytime you might struggle to hear/see it. It's looking
good on my grabber though.

I'm sure others nearby will be along to give you more help and to
arrange skeds.

Our NoV end date is now only 5 months away, and it will be the best 5
months propagation wise of the year. We need to get on and rattle those
keys!

All the best,

John GM4SLV
http://www.sighthound.demon.co.uk/gm4slv/500expt.htm