LF: receivers

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: receivers
From: Laurence KL1X <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:36:10 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Mike - both on 137 and 500 the Icom R75 is really rather good both in sensitivity and selectivity and is still my receiver of choice. With or without the TXCO its reasonably stable down at LF - I still like the TXCO option when Im in the tropics or polar climes

The TS870S does have the attenuator inserted just LF of 500KHz but given my s/n and drive levels from the antennae systems it is as good as the R75's except no 1Hz readout. On 137KHz it is less sensitive but at my rx drive levels outside noise levels are higher and it doesnt make a hoot of difference.

I still (much) prefer the TS870 over the TS850 both in noise blanking and receiver performance on large antennae - honest its given clean copy on Argo when the 850 didnt on an equally powered shared port running side by side on ZL tests.

The SDR IQ is pretty good too but Im still getting to grips with the ins and outs of its performance and its really too soon for me to comment. Its not that stable up on HF per se - it it warms up with a around 4Hz shift in about 15 mins but once it gets there its ok - when you divide down on 500 and 137Khz its fine. Ill have more experience over the next few weeks as its going to be the only RX Im going to use in KL7

Laurence 9V1 LF about to become KL 1X/M again for a few weeks

Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo! Play now!