Re: LF: GM4SLV and GI4DPE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: GM4SLV and GI4DPE
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:46:01 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
John, I am not sure if I sent this correctly so am resending it.  If I am in the shack later I will look for you on Finbars frequency.

Peter

In a message dated 15/08/2007 13:16:36 Greenwich Standard Time, ColePe writes:
John,

the faint trace I saw was just before Finbar signed with you and from your comments below I feel sure that it was your signal.  You were probably on full power as I heard Finbar say about using normal power in case someone was listening.
You are almost due north from here (1113km, 7.66 deg) and a big problem is that the highest parts of Dartmoor are in the way.  Experience to date shows that Dartmoor has a very serious affect on LF signals. It will be a challenge but, with lower static and more hours of darkness in which to play, we have a better chance of a qso in the next few months.

73, Peter G3JFS
IO70WJ

 In a message dated 14/08/2007 23:23:02 Greenwich Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:55:34 EDT
[email protected] wrote:

> John,
> I have been listening to Finbar working you for about 15 mins. He is
> solid copy as usual but I can't hear you.  However if you are on the
> same  frequency I did detect briefly a very faint trace, too weak to
> be of use but  still encouraging if it was your signal.  Look forward
> to working you one  day.
> Off to bed now.

Thanks for the report Peter,

Conditions weren't the best tonight - some odd QSB etc.

We started at 22:00 UTC and very quickly went into a series of QRPp
tests. I wonder what time you were listening. In the first 1/2 hour I
went quickly down from 50W TX power (~100mW ERP +/-) to 10W / 1W /
500mW / 250mW / 100mW and finally 50mW!

At 50mW my ERP must be miniscule!

Finbar copied me down to 100mW (a struggle at that but read my reported
power) and heard dashes at 50mW

I guess the path between me and you is fairly difficult - being mostly
overland (must check on a map).

Oh..and yes, I was on (near enough - hand tuned VFOs) the same
frequency as Finbar, so it probably was my signal.

Cheers and good night - off to bed for me too.

John