Re: LF: 500 obs

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 obs
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:39:29 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John GM4SLV

Conditions this morning must be slightly up as I can see feint traces of the QRS from the current 5mW appearing on your grabber. That's the first time I've seen anything from my beacon in about 1 week. ( except from Hartmut) It appears to peak about 00.00 to 02.30 local.
I think I would need about 10mW and good conditions to make the distance  for a vy basic QSO. However, given the current 'success rate' is only about 10% of nights I would certainly need some more ERP to cover the 984km on an average day. I may try some late night 100mW tests as a comparison, although that would be around 140W and not 7W of TX power.
If you use a particular frequency for your skeds with Finbar, I'll try some narrow band reception and see if I can dig your signal out of my local noise.  Maybe your +13dB will be enough. It would be interesting as you say to compare reception in rural and urban locations.

73

David  MRF

I am firmly of the opinion that an increase in ERP is needed too. Not
to "compete" as such, but to lift signals far enough above the noise to
make QSOs at least possible. Many people have high local noise floors
during the day which prevents working the weak daytime signals from
longer distances  and everyone has the very high atmospheric
noise level at night, which is negating any increase in signal levels
brought on by night-time conditions.