LF: Re: 500 - Signal on 504 KHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 500 - Signal on 504 KHz
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:47:24 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=yNILRSPj0A1ZaLVcNJVFXfH0/+vIJxnTDSNZxy/WrzzwnYxhzh/SVGxrJnQ9DuCMqw91zgVPIG824F7mXs8csY79vpUQ/yU/kcsJOoBP/GOzy3hbP0fWlzxiYP2wo/9x4Ra2b2Xo5a2aYoYqXKLecV3sFjfzmJvD6nSRiPwwziA= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary. I dont think that unless you have a big loop or you have a very
local BC station that you will see any improvement for shielding the loop.
In fact it might even be worse, due to the reduction in Q that comes with
the extra stray capacitance. The side of the loop is small with respect to a
wavelength so the amount of "electric" field pick-up will be so small as to
make the contribution negligable. It is different with an HF loop.

On the point about RTE yes it is just across the water from you. It might be
worth seeing if there is any improvement by trapping (or notching) the
fundamental. I would not imagine there is with a tuned loop. If they go DRM
I guess that we will get a general increase in noise level across the band.
It might be worth making some measurements because although we only have
experimental permits BC stations are supposed to radiate clean
transmissions. It would not be good for DRM to be perceived to radiate muck
on harmonics.

On the point of "QRM" I am receiving a very weak signal on 502.5. I know
that is where Adrian G4GDR transmits but this is on almost continuously. I
thought I had identified it as Adrian when Jim worked him the other day as
it seemed to go off when Jim was transmitting. I am now wondering if that
was just due to the big signal I get from Jim. I need averaging to see it
but if looks like it could be morse and it "pings up" occasionally. I dont
know whether Adrian does call a lot ...because he has a valve rig I guess he
doesnt beacon and is probably not that stable (??).

 Cheers de Alan G3NYK