LF: Re: SAQ received in north Italy

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: SAQ received in north Italy
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:59:59 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=WHyrW2m7ktKANwwrSBHoHQo8cuJb2MgKJ9qBmRJpkq7T4CDA9EqTS/Bo6gIrDRZK1ZfGRBAAMSdY6CAFKmDk0joQQAa0F395gh08nUC0cWAlTAUhcBhhudNP6keIHr4DdrqP36n7WqVmabdXaiTqoC4j+/iZPsYggBrMXx1p8oo= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Claudio

> I've observed that when SAQ key was up on my PC screen I can see a very
weak
> signal, as some carrier leakage.
>
> Any info about SAQ key-up ERP radiated?

The SAQ alternator runs continuously, and is keyed by using a magnetic
amplifier (saturating reactor) to short circuit the alternator output when
the key is up. However, the impedance of the reactor does not actually reach
zero, so some power is radiated. It is usually about 20 - 25dB down on the
key-down signal level. At my QTH it is usually audible when SAQ is running
but not sending, and you can hear the pitch of the CW note decreasing when
the TX is shut down.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU