Re: LF: [500] 502 kHz test from G3JFS <OLB, AQC and VTT also>

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: [500] 502 kHz test from G3JFS <OLB, AQC and VTT also>
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 12:49:05 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Its nice to get a report, even a local one, as I have put out so many tests and calls in recent weeks without any reponse that I am beginning to think 500 kHz is rather a waste of time from Plymouth.  When considering the very few stations I have heard at workable strength, and more so on the ones that I can't hear or even detect on spectran, I am convinced that Dartmoor and the hilly ground around my qth have a very serious effect on 500 kHz propagation.
So far Tom and Laurie are the only stations I have worked and the loudest signals I have heard have been from GI4DPE after dark and GW4HXO in daylight.  The path to both of these stations is relatively clear as it passes along the Tamar valley and over the less rugged terrain of western Dartmoor.  G3OLB is relatively local, maybe 40 miles in a straight line, and is readable in day time although weak at times. I was quite surprised when G3AQC called me after my contact with Tom as it was in the afternoon and he was a good 559.  The route to Chichester, about 150 miles, is mostly along the coast and this gives an idea of the possibilies over a good path.  G3VTT was active at the same time as G3AQC but I could not find a trace of his signal on spectran.

Your rx is ok Dave - I have 8 crystals covering frequencies from 501.34 - 503.86 kHz.

Look forward to getting a report from your home qth one day.

73 Peter, G3JFS