LF: Re: Getting QRV on 500kHz from Shetland?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Getting QRV on 500kHz from Shetland?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:06:11 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=ebzevaNaVdeeU87NKLJfPk/WBUCcnBiHJ3ds0A70DI4zCf5i1505Cqd1J+7Nnu8ON0UA60nzsUEaN2wvsjyFX6Urllg2PRGbVmkgx+RDxx1yFZqNBwkRmPxea+T7oU3o/IMT1I1o6rpQTFMlXfY/hBa2oazGU/Y9rUIyHurbqwY= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John welcome to LF (and MF). You are, as far as I am aware, the first
"declared" 600m man in Scotland so will be very popular !! NO you are not
too far out of the centre of activity, Finbar and Mal have been heard in
Spain and in Germany at night. 100mW ERP is a bit disappointing but I am
hoping we will soon persude Ofcom that we are not an interference problem
and we will get some more.

Overhead night-time or darkness is not the problem.....you need darkness at
100km altitude at mid path, but that may not be a lot different at this time
of year.

The secret to all LF and MF aerials is the height of the vertical or
apparent vertical portion of the aerial, a shorter aerial will have a lower
Rrad so you can run more power to get your 100mW ERP. Like all LF aerials
grounding is a major job. With a poor ground it seems more of the signal is
radiated at a higher angle so restricting your range. Inverted Vs dont work
too well, it is obviously better to have the top section as near level as
possible or even rising. Once the top wire is as long as the vertical height
you gain little more in increasing Rrad, but you do get reduced ground loss
with the extra capacitance. Efficiency is not really a problem at 500k at
these power levels.

You will have no trouble loading a vertical with a base coil, it is possible
to get a good guess at the capacity and be somewhere close with a
calculation of the required inductance for resonance. Otherwise you can
winde 300 to 400 turns on a 6in length of 38mm wastepipe and peak the noise
with a bit of ferrite and then measure the inductance (and cheap LCR meter
is a boon at LF)

Always remember there is lots of experience hiding on the reflector ready to
help with suggestions to your problems....dont hesitate to ask. There are
lots of resources mainly LF but pertinent on the web, which are linked
through Dave G3YXMs site and others.

QRSS may be a bore but it can be one way of seeing how well the signal is
reaching when you are not getting any aural qsos.

Sorry to hear about the AOR 7030 problem I hope you soon get it sorted they
are nice receivers.

Best Wishes de Alan G3NYK
www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/