LF: GW4HXO Beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: GW4HXO Beacon
From: "Michael Probert" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:18:41 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello All

Grateful thanks to all who have posted reports on my 501.3 khz beacon.

The problem at this location on the South West coastal tip of Wales is massive noise pollution from the adsl broadband connection.

This takes the form similar to the “galloping horses” effect that were previously experienced from Loran sidebands on 136. Receiving on the Tx antenna is impossible.

Having constructed a shielded loop to a design developed by Finbar GI4DPE, I find that although I can null out a certain degree the qrn it  makes weak signal reception still virtually impossible.

I have on a temporary basis, access to a noise free area about 80m from the house.  To date, I have only heard and worked the 2 GI’s and my near neighbour GW3UEP who is about 50km NW of me. We exchange 599 signals. I have yet to hear any signals across “the border”

Hope to locate the loop in the quiet zone at times indeterminate over this weekend, chores etc permitting.  The obvious problem with the loop is that if called by someone on whom I am not “beaming” I don’t hear them!

Trust this explains my lack of response in the past.

Final comment—136khz was much easier!

73

Mike  GW4HXO.