Re: LF: GW4HXO Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: GW4HXO Beacon
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:01:10 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 16 Jun 2007 at 12:18, Michael Probert wrote:

> The problem at this location on the South West coastal tip of Wales is
> massive noise pollution from the adsl broadband connection.
>
> This takes the form similar to the "galloping horses" effect that were
> previously experienced from Loran sidebands on 136. Receiving on the
> Tx antenna is impossible.

I am puzzled by that. I certainly don't get any interference from my
own ADSL - 2Mb fixed rate with the router and telephone lines right
in the upstairs shack. Neither my 500kHz vertical in the garden or my
(untuned) longwire which runs right into the shack pick up anything.
But there are no overhead lines here, it is all underground. When I
first went to broadband I specifically listened on 136kHz, 73kHz and
all the HF bands and I have yet to find anything which I can
attribute to the ADSL. It is OK the other way as well, it works
solidly when I transmit on 500kHz, HF or whereever.

I rather suspect your noise is not ADSL, more likely switch mode psu
QRM.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com