Re: LF: Re: 502 kHz test from G3JFS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 502 kHz test from G3JFS
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:16:08 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 28/06/2007 21:57:14 Greenwich Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear Peter, LF Group,

Had a look for your signal around 2115 utc, but nothing visible or audible. I find that quite suprising - other stations at a similar distance put in good signals I can usually hear OK. Were you on exactly 502.000kHz?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU
Hi Jim,

My signal should be very close to 502kHz. Both my frequency counter (with an un-ovened xtal) and my FT1000MP Mk-V which has an high stability oscillator tell me its 502.08 - accurate enough to ensure that I am in band but I wouldn't put too much faith in the absolute accuracy.  The frequency is derived from a very old 3515 kHz crystal (aquired whilst working for Cathodeon Crystals in the 1960s) that is divided by 7.

I have only ever heard a few weak signals from up country so with my low power I am not surprised that you didn't hear me.  You may have seen comments about my qth in other posts.  I live to the north of the city in an area called Crownhill which is one of the highest points in Plymouth.  The local MW broadcast station sits on the top of the hill but I unfortunately live way down on the wrong side of it so that much of my signal gets lost in the hillside.  Dartmoor also has a very serious affect on radio signals on all bands.  Locals with beams say how hard is to work dx to the north and how they have to wait for long path openings to work the N. Pacific area;  all blame Dartmoor.

Hopefully I can improve my signal and make some contacts.  It is an interesting exercise if nothing else.

73

Peter, G3JFS