LF: Re: QRSS on 500 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: QRSS on 500 kHz
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 15:49:16 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris and Co

I would say that the QRS mode is useful under certain adverse conditions but even that is debateable because of the very slow speed of data transfer which leaves it vunerable to garble caused by bursts of noise, static and the proverbial QSB which seems to be more prone on 500 khz  probably because of the permitted max power being so low. This observation has been made by others on the band besides myself.
On normal CW working which allows a quick exchange of information this is not a problem also one can use QSK to advantage which is not an option on QRS mode.
All the current stations active on 500 both in the UK and EU are audible with me so why would I want to work them on QRS when I could exchange the relevant information in a few secs/mins and even have a discussion when this would take an hour plus on qrs plus the disadvantages as discussed above.
Why would anyone crawl when they can WALK.
From info published from the USA, those using the 500 khz band prefer normal CW. This LMCW mode is not used on any other amateur band, so why 500.
Beacon use also needs a mention. A more useful and considerate approach would be to beacon at around 6 wpm with call and say locator any other info is not normally necessary, again the slow qrs mode is not appropriate and sometimes in the evening there is more of this activity than QSO'S taking place, so what is the point of these endless transmissions. I do not see this reflector swamped with reports and the odd one just confirms what happened the day before from the same source.
My suggestion, if one is compelled to beacon, use normal 6 wpm cw and listen at a specified time for a possible QSO ie on the half hour or hour, or any other suitable time
The 500 khz band has always been designated primarily for Telegraphy.
To date as far as I know all QSO'S that have taken place have been on normal CW and you have a good strong signal always 589 with me and I am sure you are equally strong with all the others on the band. I do not suppose with your signal and your ability to send good CW you would acticipate using LMCW.

73 and gl
de Mal/G3KEV