LF: QRSS on 500 kHz

To: LF group <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: QRSS on 500 kHz
From: CHRISTOPHER OSBORN <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:03:37 +0100 (BST)
Sender: [email protected]
It appears that the use of QRSS modes on 500 kHz is unfortunately somewhat contraversial.

Admittedly this band has a particular historical heritage and it would be a shame were traditional CW to become a minority mode.

I prefer manual CW to any other mode but QRSS has its place too.
My N.O.V. entitles me to use CW, QRSS and DFCW on 500 kHz.
As far as I am aware there is at present no 'gentleman's agreement' for band segmentation regarding the various modes.
Maybe after nearly 3 months into the year's trial it might be opportune to consider one.

The usefulness of QRSS is obvious but appears to need restating:

a) Those amateurs who are not fortunate enough to generate a strong (or even decent) signal may still work other, even DX stations.
b) QRSS QSO's may be time-shared with other activities e.g. construction or metal work.
c) It generates a bigger 'presence' on the band - useful for any interested parties who may be testing an RX, aerial system or investigating propagation.
d) It allows the involvement of some of our more distant non-G friends who may be interested in the band yet have no transmit entitlement.
e) The bandwidth of QRSS is very narrow and hence spectrum efficient.

Have there been any UK 2-way QRSS QSO's on 500 kHz ?
Is there any interest in having QSO's in this mode?

I anticipate reducing my transmit power by say 40 dB and calling CQ late at night in QRSS. At this low level it should cause no interference to any CW activity.
If there are no serious objections then I shall suggest a frequency and time at a later date.

73 Chris G3XIZ