Re: LF: Distance

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Distance
From: Alan Ibbetson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:43:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Rik,

In message <[email protected]>, Rik Strobbe <[email protected]> writes
Why would one need an "antenna farm" with an ERP (EIRP ?) limit of 0.1 Watt?

I think it's because small/low aerials lose more signal to surrounding ground clutter than do big/high aerials. I don't believe that trees, buildings and hills necessarily appear as part of the loss resistance you mention.

On the other hand using narrowband modes will give easily give a 5 to 10 dB improvement of CW.

Nobody disagrees with you. What Mal said was "there is no need to use QRS to be heard around EU". It seems a shame to use a slow mode if a given path supports a faster one.

--

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ
[email protected]