Re: LF: Distance

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Distance
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:28:30 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan,

In message <[email protected]>, Rik Strobbe <[email protected]> writes
Why would one need an "antenna farm" with an ERP (EIRP ?) limit of 0.1 Watt?

I think it's because small/low aerials lose more signal to surrounding ground clutter than do big/high aerials. I don't believe that trees, buildings and hills necessarily appear as part of the loss resistance you mention.
That's true, greenery or buildings can cause extra losses. But this can be compensated by more TX power. Measurements on 136 kHz have shown that additional losses often are in the range of 3 to 6 dB. I guess that this will be less on 500 kHz. It just would mean that you need 50 Watt instead of 25 Watt.

On the other hand using narrowband modes will give easily give a 5 to 10 dB improvement of CW.

Nobody disagrees with you. What Mal said was "there is no need to use QRS to be heard around EU". It seems a shame to use a slow mode if a given path supports a faster one.
Shame?
Shouldn't anyone be "free" to operate the mode he (or she) prefers?
Without any mode being superior to another?
And without receiving negative comments (such as naming QRS "Lazy Mans cw.")?

To avoid misunderstanding: my HF logbook is filled for about 50% with CW QSO's, for sure I am not anti-CW. But nut anti any other mode either.

73, Rik  ON7YD

--

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ