Re: LF: 500 EASY START

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 EASY START
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:35:38 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=K5bvu8UA0qSa81S/GQ9tjYhsH/pZwno9qiko7UIudtjvTpAZRLhxtZy8fhRXqormHjSYUDoHUTmKzjIrOatVD5UW+A7Nx02amBhiV+6P4N9tVdwFRIKI8QW27NU7LZOXZzvAYf3ieeFpwuaykI5Y2yYHG943qa6tdKVQWa9nT18= ;
Domainkey-status: good (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan, there is not a lot of "accumulated wisdom" on 500kHz yet but most
of the 136khz experience seems to work. The best tutorial for aerials at LF
is the pages by Rik Srobbe ON7YD. You will find a lot else there as well.
http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/  and click on "The 136kHz Amateur Band" in the
left-hand bar.

Low frequency crystals are almost unknown these days. It is so easy to
divide down. Two techniques have been used straight division like Mal
suggests or mixing crystals in the 5 to 6 meg range...pulling one up and the
other down with a 2 gang variable cap. as Dave Sargent recently described.

Have you though of trying at 50p ceramic resonator !! 500kHz is a stadard
frequency for these and they are fairly "bendable" so may come up into the
band. I think GW3EUP uses one.

You will find a spreadsheet on my web site (beside a lot of other junk)
which attemmpts to simplify the ERP calculation.
http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.melia/programs.htm
It is an EXCEL sheet and should download OK.

I hope that helps ...welcome to LF and remember LF=Lotsa Fun !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK