LF: 500kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 500kHz
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:52:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

I've been away from the LF scene for some time, and haven't even been reading the postings recently, so know nothing of what is going on on 0.5MHz.

I was looking at various bits of equipment / junk on the shelves recently (with a view to rationalising it all and putting some of teh bits on a rally stand or Ebay) when I realised I more than enough hardware that can be plugged together for a very potent 500kHz station.  Viz. 200 Watt  500kHz to 40MHz linear PA, transverter and a old NDB variometer that matches my LF Tee antenna.  (The PA in fact generates full power down to significantly lower than 500kHz).

A quick test of the antenna at this freq indicates 23 ohm loss resistance (it is 100 ohms at 137kHz) so with the 200W PA I suspect would be over the allowed E.RP.

Question :
What is happening on 500kHz?  Having no interest whatsoever in CW, or working other stations just to add up callsigns and countries, so is there any experimentation going on; optimum data modes, propagation monitoring etc that would make it worth applying for a NoV and doing some radio science again?

Andy  G4JNT