LF: Re: Argo settings

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Argo settings
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:18:49 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=MsceFzkAXw9lWcIc26iNrhT8pL8+piBSWfo4SFCmbCOP2rkLYsfl3dMgbsKyZn6I0g5XerQ5gZmx/bZo4wrbM0li6tZ471C4y7tgSb4C6R1E9LlOzSFVxr09v1O4Z7GX3ukawrWTSzB+WsUgzAXvXmtaI0I3Oj1is0Ssv4IJ14g= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike, Alberto has optimised the sampling to make best use for each QRSS
speed. In my experience the only reason for choosing something different has
to do with the bandwidth of the receive screen. I rarely use a longer dot
mode than 30 sec, but I do select the "slow" option. This compromise allows
me to cover the "T/A watering hole" an does not give me a overwhelming
number of screens to scan next morning (its about an hour per screen). BUT
in theory I am thowing away a S/N enhancement because the longer dot modes
would use a higher resolution or narrower bandwidth. Likewise using 120sec
mode on faster speeds is "more sensitive" but the faster information cannot
be read.

The optimum DFCW shift is actually has a lot to do with as John says "how it
looks" The shift needs to be several times the line width as a minimum.
However, if the shift is made "as wide as a dash is long" the two streams
start to become visually detached and it is not so easy to decode a noisy
signal. Personally I do not find any advantage in the inter-element
spaces.....but then I have been copying this stuff since Rik first flew the
idea. I certainly do not find any advantage in what little I have seen of
Castle, in fact it may be sub-optimum...... throwing away some of the power
for increased speed.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK