LF: 500kHz - UK: Expression of interest

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500kHz - UK: Expression of interest
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:03:42 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Without wishing to raise hopes too much, we may be getting close to Ofcom
agreeing to issues a few Special Research Permits (SRP) for operation in the
band 501 - 504kHz within the UK.

It is expected that further details of the limitations of an SRP and the
application process will be posted on the Ofcom & RSGB Spectrum Forum
websites in the next few weeks.  The expectation is that the number of SRPs
will be limited; thus it will be particularly important to prioritise those
applications that will lead to actual experimentation on the band, hence
prior communication experience on 73 and/or 136kHz will be an advantage.

Whilst we are finalising the arrangements it has been suggested that RSGB
compile a list of Amateurs who might wish to be informed of the pending
announcement and who might wish to apply for a 500kHz SRP.  I would be
grateful therefore if you would e-mail me ([email protected]) if you wish
to be included on a list, that could be sent to Ofcom, of those expressing
an interest.  Name, callsign and address will suffice. As I am probably
going to be offline for a few days from Tuesday 30th January, it might be
sensible to cc any response to Colin, G3PSM, RSGB Spectrum Director at
[email protected]

This is seen by Ofcom as an opportunity for UK Amateurs to undertake some
experimentation and research on this MF band.  We therefore need to approach
the matter with some seriousness. It would be helpful during these final
stages of discussion with Ofcom if the details of this posting was NOT
copied onto LF websites and other reflectors.  It would be better to await
the Ofcom announcement and avoid unnecessary speculation.  Please don't
approach Ofcom directly.

73 John, G3WKL
RSGB HF Manager.