Re: LF: Re: Re: 500, XSH/10 508.003 khz tonight

To: [email protected], 600MRG <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: 500, XSH/10 508.003 khz tonight
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:32:51 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
hamilton mal wrote:

Qrs 30/60/90 etc is far too slow on 500 khz because of the QSB the signals are all chopped up and virtually impossible to get an ID. Some years ago when the band was in use by the marine service I could copy ships across the atlantic and out to the far east Japan etc at night time pretty well every night but the average ships TX was running 1kw out and a good inv L anternna, some large ships probably had a 1/4 antenna, a big ERP.

I agree with Mal. QRSS3 has shown to be about the slowest speed that is useful on 500 kc. Even at that speed only a few letters can be copied with weak signals on propagation peaks.

Tonight WD2XSH/10 will beacon on 508.003 kHz starting on or before 2300Z. A combination of QRSS3 and CW at 10 wpm with a 10 second key down will be sent.

Dex, W4DEX, WD2XKO, WD2XSH/10
http://www.500kc.com/
http://www.w4dex.com/wd2xsh_10.htm