Re: LF: Re: T/A , Kp = 6 !

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: T/A , Kp = 6 !
From: Jean-Pierre Méré <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:28:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Thank you Alan for this explanation which clarifies my spirit ! (I am young in the "LF" and I just start to correlate propagation T/A with the solar activity)
73 qro Jean-Pierre f1afj

Alan Melia a écrit :
Hi J, and Jean-Pierre, yes the Kp rose before midnight to 4 which seems to
have been enough to devastate the propagation across the Atlantic. Steve
Dove's plot of DCF39 shows about a 30dB lower level that the previous night.

It is unusual for the electrons from a minor storm to enter the ionosphere
so quickly, but it is tied up with the plasma field direction. I guess from
J's comments there was a bright auroral display last night and it would seem
a lot of electrons entered via the poles. More usually the electrons are
"sucked up" into the magnetoshere tail and are then drawn back to the ring
current. They then take a day or so to enter the ionosphere.  The ring
current "fill level"  is indicated by the Dst index and although the Kp
recovers quick;ly, the Dst indicates how many electrons are available to
provide absorption over the next few nights. These are, I believe, trickled
into the ionosphere at the daylight edge were the solar wind pressure
distorts the magnetosphere. The result is that although the Kp may be back
to quiet tomorrow the poor conditions will probably last for upwards of 6 to
7 days.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK