Re: LF: the use of long radials

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: the use of long radials
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:45:49 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dick,

I experimented with "long" (well, in terms of wavelength still very short) radials at the club station, to increase the antenna current while keeping the transmitter power constant. Result:

When I *only* use the AC mains as ground, the antenna current was a bit higher than when additional radials were connected (in parallel with the AC earth line). So, in my case, the radials were not worth the effort. But things may be different when the antenna is smaller : Read the comments about the "footprint" theory mentioned earlier. If you have the chance to use the electricity system, or even better a cold water pipe as ground system, better put the wire up in the air to increase the footprint. My antenna (at DK4U / DF0WD, which is the same) has the footprint of a football field :o) but it's only above 10 meters above ground in average, and very lossy because it is steel wire ("NATO telephone cable", cheap but very rigid) .

Best regards,
 Wolf .

Dick schrieb:
Anyone knows if it makes sence to use some long radials 100-300m long
in combination with a spiral-coil toploaded vertical with 4x20m toploading wires.
Or is this just wasting time and wire......
Dick, pa4vhf