LF: Re: Re: antenna calculation..help needed

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: antenna calculation..help needed
From: "captbrian" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 06:22:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Remember that a short cb antenna has inductive loading in it somewhere,
which means that if you are adding a whip  in series with exixting antenna
then the length for resonance will not be the same as for plain wire. I
regard a cb antenna as being about 9 feet long electrically . You are wrong
to multiply by .96; that applies to wire antennas with large insulators. If
your proposal is to have a self supporting rod without insulator holding it
up then you will need all of a calculated quarter wave at 10.140 minus 9
feet for the cb.

The feed point impedance may well be different from theory. If you make up
the L-match then make it variable  either side of the values proffered by
William.

Another matching system I have used empirically on my boat with good
sea-water around is to feed at a point up about 3 feet from the ground. I
have operated trans-atlantic like this with no matching device at all. Try
it !

If your CB antenna is a plain whip with base loading coil try feeding it at
the junction between inductance and rod.

It gets trickier at 136 tho'  ;-))

Bryan G3GVB