Re: LF: sri for RX troubles

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: sri for RX troubles
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:28:12 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Dick,

Thanks for the QSO this morning. I would never have thought that the program runs on a machine with 16 MB RAM !

About the overloading problem: I have similar problems here when strong stations are on the band. There is: A) a certain spectral leakage from the FFT calculation, which is normal, but usually in the 10-Hz-range B) deafening of the receiver, which usually much worse and cannot be cured by post-processing. I can imagine that PA0BWL (hello Wil !) is extremely strong at your location. He is also one of the strongest signal here. The IC706 which use a the club (after the 136 kHz <-> 10 MHz transverter), the S-meter usually shows nothing on the LF band, only occasionally S1. If it shows S9, the sensitivity of the whole system may be decreased by 54 dB (worst-case), because most comercial receivers actually show the AGC voltage as fieldstrength indicator. To get away from that problem would mean building a receiver without AGC, which would require an enormous dynamic range (it can be done, though, using software-defined radio principles). But usually, there is so little activtiy that we are happy to see anything at all ;-)

BTW Jeff F6BWO was calling you too, but I guess he was a bit weaker than usual. Nice to have some regular CW activity too - worked G3XDV again after a very long time.

Best regards,
 Wolf DL4YHF  /   DK4U (on LF) .

Dick schrieb:
Hello all,
I've been (and will be on again this afternoon) on DFCW 137.7kHz. I have some trouble with my computer, which is an laptop with only 16MB workmemory. So, therefore it often takes some time to switch from RX to TX (Speclab to QRSS window) I also haven't optimized the settings off spectrum Lab, not able to read weak signals. I saw DK6NJ?? calling me, and later somebody else, but couldn't get the dashs and dots all
that clear on my screen.
Also have problems when a strong signal is on the band.....it blocks other weak signals that are within 50Hz or so.
Hopefully this is just a way of wrong computer settings,hi.
I'll go on now 73 Dick, PA4VHF