LF: 134.1Khz

To: "Gary - G4WGT" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 134.1Khz
From: "Laurence KL1X" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 04:41:03 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Gary thanks - this pulsing is Im pretty sure a data sig - It resides on 134.1 Khz and has a fade pattern, but so do local sources so Im still not sure. Ill check during the heat of the day -

Ive lashed  up the mini whip and the concierge here at the hotel managed to find me a short length of 30mm diam white pipe - ok I dont have the end caps but tape covers the open end and the bottom is open to the air here. Its being hosted on one of those 20 bucks 8m long fishing poles.

First impressions are - good, real good. No Imod  (but there arent any big MW stations here) and a lot better than my bottom loaded wire - getting the cap up high really has improved the s/n - I again decoupled the incoming thin coax to the frame and that knocked off the crud. I guess I have the device about ten feet above the roof.

The only difference to the  original design is a slightly longer (cap) aerial, added another few cms there,  and the inter-stage coupling increased to 680pF from 560pF, only because thats what they have and not to improve the LF side

I can hear JJY on 40, weakly at the moment, and  60Khz, Loran is S9+, mfsk on 54Khz (s9)  background night-time sits at around S5 with tstorm peaks to 9+10 - this is with the R75 with no pre amps on - a lot of drive, but not overly so - but it looks good, and Ill drag this round as my aerial of choice in the future -   Ok ill have to add them end caps to keep the water out, but that can wait for a day.

Build time was 1.5 hours from the first attempt at cutting the single sided board with a hacksaw!

My thanks to PA0RDT -  Ill monitor DCF39 overnight and the EU 136Khz window but I think we are still a little disturbed (radio wise)

Laurence G4DMA in 9V1