Re: LF: first QRSS/DFCW QSO's

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: first QRSS/DFCW QSO's
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:00:32 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dick,

Congrats for the first QSO - hope to work you soon.

For some reason I was not able to get the right settings in spec lab.
Resolution is difficult, the tone went down in noise, it looked like.
Anyway, my ear was better then the computer.....

Maybe some tips about advised settings?
If you get lost in the settings, enter the "Quick Settings" menu, and select "Slow Morse Reception" ... "3 Seconds/dot" (=QRSS3). If you hear a signal but don't see a strong line in the spectrogram, try this:

- scroll the the frequency axis around (towards higher or lower audio frequencies until you find the spot), by holding the left mouse button down on the frequency scale, and move the mouse while keeping the button pressed. SL will redraw the spectrum completely, so old parts of the frequency axis will become visible then.

- try the "contrast" and "brightness" controls on the left side. They are extremely important to squeeze the last fraction of a decibel out of the screen.

- To see the full bandwidth on the screen, click on the frequency axis with the right(!) mouse button and select "Zoom Out". The spectrogram will be redrawn immediately (also the old parts). Then, to examine something in detail, click on the frequency axis again (near the interesting frequency) and select "Zoom In" or "Zoom to 1 pixel per FFT bin". The latter case gives the optimum aspect ratio for QRSS, DFCW, and DF6NM's Chirped Hell.

- Life is easier if you enter the "VFO frequency" of your receiver to see the "high frequency" (instead of the audio frequency) on the frequency scale. For example, I always tune my LF RX to 135.8 kHz in USB, and enter "135.8k" in the "Offs"-field on the right side. Then I scroll the spectrogram's frequency scale so 137.7 kHz is in the middle of the screen.

- For very weak signals, I find the "sunrise" color palette better suited than the multi-coloured default palette. The colour palette can be selected through the file menu.

Best regards / CUL,

Wolf DL4YHF .