LF: Re: Loading Coil Q

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Loading Coil Q
From: "PA0WFO" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:51:19 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
To All ,
Lacking a "Q"meter I use the following procedure :
Connect the coil in series with a variable capacitor to a noise bridge with the RX output of the bridge to a receiver ( small bandwith of a few hundred cycles )  on 137 Khz . Bring the the bridge to resonance with the variable capacitor and the internal potmeter of the bridge and read the  loss resistance of the coil .
The Q factor is the Xl of the coil divided by the loss resistance . With this procedure the "Q"is measured on the working frequency . With a good shielded Rx and bridge very precise measurements are possible . By replacing the capacitor with the real life antenna ,  measurements of the total resistance to be matched is possible .
73, William PA0WFO