LF: Sparc transmitter

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Sparc transmitter
From: "Uwe Wensauer" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:26:05 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi,
It´s not a matter to laugh about what happen to me

I am occasonally do some demonstration in a vacational school with a simple spark transmitter.
Such a Xmitter can be easy  built with items from Leybold. Leybold furnised schools physics - store rooms but many teachers dont know what treasures in there especially for radio.

So I built with a high voltage transformer, a multible spark- gap, 2 huge Leydener bottles ( 2 x 500pF ), a primary coil ( 10 wdg) and multiturn secondary coil as Tesla transformer connected.

There was also a strange looking bulb which was filled with a unknown gas ( discover later )

As I did the first test the transmitter works as there was a very loud crackling noise in the multiple spark gap, accomanied with a lot of sparks a blue-ish- red sparks in and arround and from the top of the tesla coil.

So fare so good. that was the test.

Next day ( Professor Ferdinand Braun Day ), the auditorium was full with students and press, I showed first am simple
" Wagnerscher Hammer"  ( it is similar to a old door clock ) with some sparks at the interruptor.
The response was feeble.

Then I pullt out the surprise.

I let dim the room and forced the students to go mor away and started the Tesla- transmitter.

You may imagine what happen with all that sparks, the noise, the coulors, the smell of ozon and the illuminated gas bulb.

In one corner of the auditorium where suddently a rumor, because all Pc stalled.

For me and all Hams, we know what happend ... beside the sparks where also produced EMF- pulses, strong enough to stop the processors from work.

What would happened, if I would use more power ?

You may know the answer

Uwe, DK1KQ

( next Professor Braun Day will be 16/17 Sept )