LF: Re: PA4VHF/p problems with core/high voltage etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: PA4VHF/p problems with core/high voltage etc
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 04:39:54 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Dick, Jim,

as Jim pointed out, the flux density B scales inversely with the number of turns. As hysteresis losses go up with the cube of B, I would definitely tend to to stay well below 50 millitesla. I use a similar N30 core with 30 turns primary, it stays perfectly cool at 250 watts. Leakage inductance is not so much an issue for a narrowband LF application and can be minimized by multifilar winding. You will have to use thinner wire, but in your tapped autotransformer configuration copper loss will not be excessive.

73 and good luck
Markus