LF: Re:Spark

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re:Spark
From: "captbrian" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:35:27 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I believe only large and expensive installations on posh ocean liners. had
rotary spark gaps. The trouble with a static gap is that the voltage
necessary to strike a spark is more than the voltage required to keep it
going. Hence instead of a short spark one got a long one of varying
intensity. This gave a broadband signal and what my father described to me
once as a wet dribble  of a note - illustrating this by blowing what brits
call a raspberry

. . He certainly described to me how they regularly used to have to get out
a file to sharpen the points and improve the note.

My mother (who was 'courting' my father at the time  and took the operators
sandwiches and coffee in the middle of the night-shift ]   told me the noise
and the flickering spark in the wire mesh cage which  surrounded the
spark-gap were quite terrifying if you opened the door of that room.

The RSG was intended to move the points together just long enough to strike
the spark but separate them again before the spark deteriorated. Thus one
got a very short high intensity spark no "wet dribble" and a clean pleasant
sounding note and [I assume] a spectrum cleaner sig. Ths is in contrast to
VE2CV's  experiment in which he used a gap between  two spheres  and ,
incidentally, produced  what I would call 595c signals

BTW   I realise I have no idea of the length of the spark gap...anybody
know?

Bryan G3GVB