Re: LF: New transmitter being tested on 18.5 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: New transmitter being tested on 18.5 kHz
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:07:57 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Markus and group,

Thanks for the interesting spectrograms... I especially like that camouflaged loop in the garden.

> 73, and thanks for the Easter eggs and bunnies ;-)
... and to you for painting those eggs in various colours on your LF-RDF-spectrogram. Guess you were out in the garden at that time, and moved the loops ?

Will be interesting to see if that directional VLF fading is related to the time of day, or if you caught a SID event by chance, and if similar things happened on LF the same time. My own bearings of the new 18.5 kHz transmitter only vary by a few degrees, but I'm just 8 wavelengths away from it ;-)

73, Wolf  DL4YHF .

Hi Wolf and LF,

very interesting. I have been observing 10 to 24 kHz for the last few days, and of course stumbled across the 18.5 kHz transmissions as well - screenshots are on http://people.freenet.de/df6nm/vlf/vlf_rdf.htm .

The interesting thing is that on a crossed pair of loops, the new emission seems to show MUCH more directional fading at night than its counterpart on 23.4 kHz. The only explanation I can think of is that they may be using a different kind of antenna, perhaps with long horizontal conductors, producing more high angle radiation.

73, and thanks for the Easter eggs and bunnies ;-)

Markus, DF6NM

In einer eMail vom 17.04.2006 18:06:34 Westeurop�ische Sommerzeit schreibt [email protected]:

At this very moment (16:00 UTC), the folks at Saterland / NW DL are
testing a new transmitter facility.
They use unmodulated carrier as well as (G)MSK, ramping the power up and
down from QRPPP levels to full throttle (whatever full throttle will be).
The frequency is exactly 18.50000 kHz, and its quite sure to be the
Ramsloh / Saterland facility (we RDF'd it already, and its very likely
to be the DHO site).