Re: LF: New transmitter being tested on 18.5 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: New transmitter being tested on 18.5 kHz
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:56:29 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Wolfgang,

the funny thing is that the 18.5 kHz DF variations appeared during all three nights, whereas the colour of 23.4 was steady during that time, except for short periods at sunrise / sunset.

Mentioning wavelength... could the effect have to do with the frequency itself? I am 476 km from Saterland, and for an assumed reflection height of 78 km, the geometrical path difference between groundwave and skywave would be about 25 km. This is two wavelengths at 24 kHz, versus 1.5 wavelengths near 18 kHz, possibly resulting in cancellation and an increased sensitivity against small perturbations.

Will keep looking...

73 de Markus

In einer eMail vom 17.04.2006 21:07:57 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt [email protected]:

Will be interesting to see if that directional VLF fading is related to
the time of day, or if you caught a SID event by chance, and if similar
things happened on LF the same time.
My own bearings of the new 18.5 kHz transmitter only vary by a few
degrees, but  I'm just 8 wavelengths away from it ;-)