Re: LF: Top load coil at ground level?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Top load coil at ground level?
From: Dick Rollema <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:33:27 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Rik, ON 7YD wrote

At 16:29 19-4-06, you wrote:
Hi Dick,

I guess you are right with
"
The stub functions as a transmission line to transfer the inductive reactance of the coil to the top of the radiator."

But I am afraid that for any reasonable antenna height (< 50..100m) the stub is that short (in wavelengths) that it will hardly transfer any reactance.

To check  this I took as a stub 50ft of 600 ohm open line. At one end I connected a coil of 2mH, a typical value I think for a top load coil. Its reactance at 136kHz is 1700 ohm.
Using a transmission line program by ARRL I find that at the other end of the line a reactance of 1978 ohm appears, which looks like a coil of 2.32mH.
So it seems to work.

What is the result when you model both quarter wave 80m antennas (+/- 20 m height) for 2200m ?

The antennas and the distance between the legs of the stub (20cm) are so small in wavelengths that the program does not work.

73, Dick, PA0SE