LF: RE: Answers to antenna question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Answers to antenna question
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:46:57 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi, JB, LF,

Try and keep the top loading wires at least 4-6 feet away from the support towers, and make sure that the wires are taut and don't sway about in the breeze. You will find that the antenna is sharply tuned, and the tuning will vary as the wind blows! This also applies to bits of the antenna that you would think would be at the same potential, e.g. parellel multiple wire feed lines.

If you want to increase the top-loading capacity...always a good thing... you can join the ends of the "legs" of the Y with further wires. This will allow you to reduce the size of the tuning coil and reduce your losses.

If you do intend to transmit with this antenna, pay attention to the way you terminate the ends of the top wires. Try to avoid sharp points, and end the wires in loops to reduce corona effects. I get significant corona running 200W RF into a Tee with a 60m top, and it only gets worse as you turn up the wick. This can cause TVI...well it does for me!

Lastly, if you are using a tuned loop nearby to receive, you will find that the vertical will play havoc with the polar diagram of the loop if it is tuned to the same frequency. I get round this by using a relay to open the earthy end of the coil when the vertical isn't in use.

I'm not sure what the VE licensing regulations allow, but it can be fun to just put a couple of watts of RF into the antenna, to see how the whole thing tunes up. You don't need much, just 4 or 5 watts from an "audio" amp on 137 kHz is all you need. I can recommend Jim M0BMU's phase meter as a really useful means of detecting if your antenna is on tune, and you can watch the phase swing around when the wind blows!

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM