Re: LF: TA 24 JAN 06

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TA 24 JAN 06
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:33:08 -0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:34:33 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Glad to be your first W reception and best DX. While CT1DRP was strong
early his signal was noticeably weaker the rest of the night. On a
better night your signal would have painted solid white lines.
What are you running for power and antenna?
Jay, W1VD

I am running about 200-250mW ERP. Tx is a Decca currently at 500W output. The ant is an inverted-L Marconi with 16m vertical and three 18m horizontal wires in parallel 1m apart (short garden). About 70% of the inductive loading is at the top of the vertical section and the other 30% at the bottom. I have recently tidied up the three top wires so they are neater and better engineered, giving me more top capacitance, allowing me to reduce the bottom loading and gaining more current (2.5A now). Both loading coils (and a small variometer for tuning) are wound with Litz wire. Earthing is four 1m stakes. See http://lf.apersonalguide.co.uk/antenna.htm for a drawing of the antenna set-up.

There is scope for increasing the Tx output and slightly increasing the spacing of the top wires. I estimate I could eventually approach 500mW ERP before I run out of ideas, but that will take some time.

I estimate the distance between us as 5433km - my locator is IO91VT.

Thanks, again.

73 de Mike, G3XDV