Re: LF: Re: TA Nov, 13/14th

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TA Nov, 13/14th
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:06:36 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:07:03 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Greetings all,

John wrote:

XES did run in the WOLF 2.5 speed all night. I will use the 5 b/s rate tonight with 50 watts, starting around 2330 UTC. Given WOLF's error correction with copy being built up over a period of time, the slower data rate may not be an advantage, as it is with uncorrected PSK.

This was also my impression when thinking about the lowest useful signalling rate. 2.5 b/s may give the WOLF decoder too few bits over a single lift in propagation to recognize the sync pattern; furthermore: the lower the bitrate, the larger the requirements for frequency stability (which includes the 'calibration' of the soundcard sampling rate). I didn't check if the tolerance range isn't also divided by four when the signalling rate is divided by four. John - please let me know any results of your local tests. Maybe there are one or two quirks in my modifications of Stewart's original algorithm, especially concerning the scaling of the 'frequency tolerance' parameter.

73,  Wolf  DL4YHF .

P.S: Off-frequency posting ... I will be watching 3597.000 kHz tonight in WOLF 5 mode, starting around 19:00 UT .