LF: Advice (again) please

To: "LF Group (E-mail)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Advice (again) please
From: "OSBORN, Chris" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:08:03 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:08:51 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

        I'm still beavering away on my new TX and now have stopped blowing
up the PA devices (fingers crossed).
        I've incorporated some of  the suggestions gratefully received:-
         - Higher voltage FETs - IRF630's
         - gate resistors to prevent vhf oscillation

        I have also changed from transformer drive to using a 4426 driver
IC.

I'm generating 100 watts into my 50 ohm dummy load but only getting an efficiency of about 50%.
        The output transformer toroidal core is getting quite hot and I
        suspect that it's permeability is too low as the capacitance
required
        to bring it to resonance is far higher than those of published
designs in the LF Experimenter's handbook, using the same number of turns.
        These capacitors are running very hot too (as mentioned by PA0SE in
his LFEH article).

        Has anyone a spare 3C85 toroid suitable for a PA stage which they
would sell to me ?

        Alternatively I've looked in the RS catalogue but am not sure what
is a suitable type.
        They quote a parameter   'AL'      ( example    3225 nH)

        From my old college days I remember uo and ur but what is 'AL' ?

        73 Chris G3XIZ

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate or
otherwise deal with it.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of EADS
Astrium Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or
obligation.

EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259