LF: Re: Advice (again) please - Driving FETs

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Advice (again) please - Driving FETs
From: "Andy" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:48:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:51:29 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
If you drive FETs directly from a driver IC, when the FET blows up the gate
shorts to the high voltage, which feeds back and blows all your driver
circuitry too.  I learned that  the hard way when designing a SMPSU some
years ago.  It used a high / low side driver chip (HiP2500 500V Half-bridge
driver)  with a boot strapping arrangement that raised the mean level of
drive waveform for the upper device.

When the arrangement popped (due to overload) two cheap and cheerful surplus
FETs got destroyed, along with the exotic and expensive driver, and the
SMPSU controller chips.  Both of which cost as much as about 10 of the
mosfets.  After this had  happened twice, I changed to a pair of pulse
transformers straight from the SG3525 SMPSU chip which has the same sort of
totem-pole output drive as the TC4425/6/7 family,  and all was fine after
that.

Certainly will never use direct FET drive in experimental high power designs
again.

Andy  G4JNT