LF: Re: Toroid winding question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Toroid winding question
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:29:10 +1300
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:31:57 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear JB VE3EAR - VE3WZL,

Leakage inductance increases with separation between primary and secondary, even if you had adjacent bobbins. I've done some frequency response tests on what I thought could be wideband transformers that had separated primary and secondary and the measured results were more narrowband than I thought they could be. I believe the reason is incomplete flux linkages as the ferrite core material is not the only magnetic path, even if it is the main one, and the "bypass flux" can be considered to contribute to leakage inductance. Wideband performance continues to need "transmission line" winding technique.

For use in transmitter finals, leakage reactance stored energy can result in spikes.

73, Bob ZL2CA

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <[email protected]>