Re: LF: Suitable ground?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Suitable ground?
From: Steve Dove <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:21:59 -0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:23:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi J.B.,

Here on top of a ridge, I've become quite 'well' acquainted with wells various. Ask me sometime about the dowser, how accurate he was, and why the well-
driller hates him.  And me.

Well heads tend to be less useful as RF or even safety grounds than would be expected; after all a big chunk of metal in a deep hole sounds ideal, right?

Except for a few things: The steel almost certainly doesn't go all the way down the well, indeed current practice here (Pennsylvania) is for just the top length (10 - 20' or so) to be steel, the rest plastic, and then only down until the soil/rock is capable of holding the bore by itself, which often isn't far down at all. Secondly, steel rapidly acquires a patina of rust, which makes for a lousy metal-to-dirt electrical interface. Thirdly, if it is an active well (i.e. there's a pump at the bottom of it) the electrical noise of the pump running, or at the very least ker- chunking on and off will induce itself into your ground and hence the antenna system; in the same vein, there will be close coupling between general mains- borne noise and your ground system, which again the receiver will hear - especially so if the casing is used as a local safety ground for the pump. All that said, give it a try. At the very least the run-out to the well-head will make a good radial/counterpoise. But don't count on the well as the keystone to a decent RF ground.

       Cheers,

               Steve

http://www.w3eee.com