Re: Re: LF: 756 PRO III on LF?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re: LF: 756 PRO III on LF?
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:23:16 +1200
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:28:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Steve and others,

To add to the reports of Icom receiving characteristics, my ''756 Pro2 shows the increasing noise on the bandscope below about 200 kHz but it is not obvious in the receiver channel (the bandscope is a separate fixed gain receiver and visual display, the receiver path has AGC and filter selection, etc, but both use the same conversion oscillator that does the main tuning and thus gives tracking of the bandscope).  Some account would need to be taken of a droop in response at lower frequencies of the front end RF transformers, and I understand this is less in the Pro3 than the Pro2.  It would need some SINAD tests to show if there is a increasing "phase noise" penalty with tuning lower on LF.

My receiver of choice for LF is a TS-850, and while it too has some droop with RF response across LF, the external QRN is still the dominant noise source.

73, Bob ZL2CA