LF: Reception with multiple antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Reception with multiple antennas
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:34:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:35:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I have been following this interesting discussion, but I have some perhaps naive observations which could do with some expert answers.

Combining the output from two stations will give double the noise and double the signal - so no advantage there. I presume the fix is to make sure the two outputs are in phase, thus producing an improvement as the signals will be coherent but the noise will not. Plainly, there will be phase differences between the two receiving stations because of the different path lengths, and I suppose there would need to be compensation for this at the combining station.

I can see this being useful for point to point ground-wave links, where the relative phase between the two received signals can be predicted and is constant. But how can it work when the incoming signal is from an unpredictable direction, and the path length (and hence phase) of a sky-wave signal is varying all of the time?

At best you will have diversity reception (as described by Mal), but how do you keep two sky-wave signals in synch?

Mike, G3XDV